Thank you, Kiki. This insanely easy recipe makes the best latkes. It’s now a staple in our family and I’ll be passing it down to my grandkids just as your grandma Olga passed it down to you.
- 10-12 smallish red potatoes, skin on
- 1 box Manischewitz Potato Pancake Mix
- 2 eggs
- Safflower oil
What to do:
- Following the instructions on the back of the potato pancake mix, prepare the batter in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Grate the potatoes (it may seem like too much, but “trust me on the amounts,” as Kiki says.)
- Add potatoes to mixture.
- Salt liberally. Stir to combine.
- Let sit 15 minutes.
- In a heavy skillet on high heat, add about 1/4 inch of safflower oil.
- Add mixture to hot oil with a tablespoon. I make about 5 at a time.
- When golden brown, remove from heat and place on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Serve hot with applesauce and/or sour cream. Enjoy!
Happy Hanukkah everyone! May your holiday be filled with love, light and latkes!